WTH does AWFS stand for? Glad you asked! It stands for the Association of Woodworking & Furnishing Suppliers, which started in 1911. They are “a national association with international membership that includes manufacturers and distributors of machines, hardware, lumber, upholstery materials, bedding, wood products and other suppliers to furniture and cabinet manufacturers.” Their job is making a Disney World of woodworking power tools, getting woodworkers drooling, and ensuring that transactions occur between your wallet and their attendees!
It was a huge show this year in Las Vegas, and there’s tons of coverage by all the woodworking outlets you know and love. We researched the heck out of the internet to bring you this AWFS 2009 coverage roundup. ENJOY!
>> AWFS Coverage from Fine Woodworking’s Tool Addicts
Fine Woodworking just launched their “Tool Addicts” blog… and promptly went to AWFS to cover the holy heck out of it! Here are the FWW posts we could find that cover AWFS happenings.
- (Hot) $12 “Bench Cookies” are biggest news at AWFS
- (Hot) Your first sliding saw or cyclone might be a Grizzly
- (Hot) Laguna Tools Debuts Two New 14″ Bandsaws
- Tool Time in Vegas: AWFS 2009 Set to Kick Off
- Video: Belt-Sander Races at AWFS
- SawStop rolls out a more affordable cabinet saw, aimed at serious hobbyists
- New Delta midi-lathes have the power, mass, and capacity of larger lathes
- Makita shows off new 10-inch slider at AWFS Fair
- Easy-to-install spiral cutterheads for $250
- DeWalt’s compact 18-volt batteries fit old and new tools
- Sights, Sounds, and More Tool News From Las Vegas
>> The Fabulous, WoodWhispering Spagnuolos Cover AWFS
Marc Spagnuolo is an amazing techie (along with Nicole), woodworker and somehow manages to be his own paparazi too… and thank goodness. Otherwise we’d miss out on such great AWFS coverage!
AWFS with the WoodWhisperer:
AWFS Happenings (all videos embedded here)
(hot) Wood Talk Online – Live From AWFS 2009 (Marc and Matt meet in person)
>> Popular Woodworking Covers AWFS
Popular Woodworking looks like they stayed pretty busy at AWFS, but their lack of online coverage makes me think we’ll see more in their print version. They were left in the (saw)dust by FWW, that’s for sure!
- (hot) Fresh Wood Competition at AWFS
- New Products Unveiled at AWFS
- General International Reveals Expansion Plans at AWFS
>> CustomMade Covers AWFS
CustomMade appears to be a site that helps locals find great artisans and craftspeople who live near them. They attended AWFS and took some great shots and wrote some great coverage.
- Lean and Green: A Vibrant Start to AWFS Fair 2009
- Video Montage From AWFS Day One
- Sites from Day One of AWFS Fair
- Photos from the Scene at Day 2 of AWFS
- AWFS Fresh Wood Student Competition: John Barry & McKenzie Stevens
>> ISWonline Covers AWFS
Industrial Strength Woodworking… for the industrial woodworking company. That’s what give’s their coverage the business-feeling slant! Good coverage none the less.
- AWFS Fair Vegas: First day photo gallery and coverage
- AWFS Vegas opens to slow, steady crowd
- Industry Skill Standards Unveiled to Industry Leaders at AWFS Vegas
- Creativity, innovation shine in student design judging at AWFS
- Video: Belt Sander Races at AWFS
>> AWFS Discussed in Forums
>> OneOffs From Around the Web
- #AWFS on Twitter >> (for a limited time only…)
- breakout item: Bench Cookies
- FDMonline has lots of pics in their blog
- Highland Woodworking Report from the 2009 AWFS Fair
- 50 AWFS Videos from a Google Video Search >>
- this company decided not to attend this year
- Woodworker’s Journal Shot Copious Video BUT there’s 40 seconds of ads before each one.