The drill press may seem like a boring tool… (badump tchhh) With the right jigs and modifications (such as bike hubs, salvaged cordless drill parts etc) you can turn your drill press into a light – VERY LIGHT – lathe!
Lathe at your own risk though – I’ve read you can really mess up your bearings since the drill press isn’t designed for lateral pressure!
1) Drill Press Turning Jig (Popular Mechanics 1983)
2) Let your drill press double as a wood lathe (Popular Mechanics 1972)
3) How to Turn Dowels on Your Drill Press (Popular Mechanics 1977)
4) Using a Drill Press for Wood Turning (Popular Mechanics 1936)
5) Turned Balls on the Drill Press (American Woodworker 1995)